View Blogs in a larger map
Red - The most recent post
Blue - 2008
Magenta - 2009
Green - 2010
Purple - 2011
Yellow - 2012

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Hardly Strictly

The first weekend of October I made the trip to San Francisco for the Hardly Strictly Music Festival.




It's a free music festival put on by this guy who had a lot of money and wanted to see good music. The line up is great and it's a great reason to go visit San Fran. It's a six hour drive from here which almost seems like nothing now. We got there Friday, just in time to see Robert Plant and Allison Krauss. I was glad to get to see them while they are still touring. It was a good show with gospel and Zep tunes, but I would have enjoyed it if it was a little faster tempo.



The next day we got up and wandered around downtown. We wandered into a random Chinese parade with one marching band and one dragon following. A very short parade, but an unexpected surprise. Then while sitting on Market waiting for a bus we saw all of these people going by for some kind of an event. We heard is was for the "Love Parade." It looked like Burning Man without the boobs or sand.




The love parade was holding up the bus, so we just walked. We got there just in time to get to the front to see the Gourds. They put on a great show and played Gin and Juice, always a favorite. I took a complete video of it so it limited the pictures I took the rest of the trip. But being front and center was awesome. Then we saw the Del McCoury Band before we saw Robert Earl Keen. I pushed my way to the front for Robert Earl Keen and had a great time and made some friends.






That night I went out to a club that was an after party for the Love Parade. It was pretty entertaining, and I don't think I've been smashed in a room with that many people in awhile. And then I was also surprised at the concept of closing time, still gets me... Walking back to the hotel I ran into a friend and stayed up later then I expected.





The next morning we got up and headed to the show. We saw Red Wine which is an Italian bluegrass band. If you ever see the name, go to the show, they are great! They speak and look Italian, but when they sing it's straight from Appalachia. Then we went and hung out at a stage and saw a few random acts before we saw Iron and Wine. He was great and I would love to see a show in a smaller venue. It was absurdly crowded Sunday so we left before the end and got back to Winnemucca about 1am.



View Larger Map

No comments: