View Blogs in a larger map
Red - The most recent post
Blue - 2008
Magenta - 2009
Green - 2010
Purple - 2011
Yellow - 2012

Friday, April 27, 2012

Silver City to Doc Campbells

I arranged a ride out of Silver City to Emory pass outside the Aldo Leopold Wilderness. I worked a summer in the Gila wilderness and always wanted to see it's neighbor, named for an often overlooked person in the wilderness movement, Aldo Leopold.
I headed up to the fire lookout which had great views. The lookout had just started there and had his dog Grace. It's always nice to stop by and say hi.
From there I followed a route that I had planned on my GPS, but it turned into an unmaintained trail and I ended up getting lost on a ridgetop. After a lot of effort, I found myself back on a trail and on the map.
The Aldo was great, the mountains are a lot steeper. I stopped by the high elevation Mimbres Lake, then followed the river south.
I had to hitch around to Doc Campbells to get my resupply of food and meet back up with Greg to hike the middle fork of the Gila.

View CDT Check in in a larger map

1 comment:

Paul.MacCammond said...

Such a great part of the country that I miss dearly. Glad you get to stomp on through it.