View Blogs in a larger map
Red - The most recent post
Blue - 2008
Magenta - 2009
Green - 2010
Purple - 2011
Yellow - 2012

Monday, August 13, 2012

Bob Marshall Wilderness

The Bob Marshall Wilderness, commonly referred to as The Bob. It's another amazing wilderness area just south of Glacier, but with none of the people. It's highlight is the Chinese Wall. The CDT goes right along this section, and it was something I didn't want to miss this summer. I also had a hunch that I might run into some hiking friends.
The first night out, I wasn't feeling it. After all the driving, I just didn't feel up to walking. I was getting lonely and a little depressed. But I stuck with it.
The next day I was back on the CDT. Felt connected to all my friends I knew somewhere down the line. That night I improvised a bear bag solution. There weren't any good trees around that were isolated enough to hang food from, so I just used the roof.
The third day I finally made it to The Wall. It's a bluff of rock about 1000 feet in the air about 10 miles long. It is quite the impressive structure when you finally see it.
For some reason there were tons of flies in that area. There was a lot of water and springs near the base of the wall, that must have bread the flies. They would hang out on my back and back of my arms until I stopped, then they would swarm my face. It made the breaks brief.
After the wall I was heading downhill when I heard two voices come from around the corner. It was Lint and Dirtmonger who I last saw somewhere in Colorado. I was hoping to run into them, but they were completely surprised by me. We sat down in the trail and traded stories for an hour. It was great to meet up with them again.
The next day, I needed to get out and up to glacier to meet up with my dad. It was a hot hike out. The last 6 miles was exposed around a lake with lots of horses. My umbrella helped, but I was still overheated when I got back to the parking lot.

View CDT Check in in a larger map

No comments: