View Blogs in a larger map
Red - The most recent post
Blue - 2008
Magenta - 2009
Green - 2010
Purple - 2011
Yellow - 2012

Thursday, June 5, 2008


So this is going to be quick.

Ever since I got back from memorial day it feels like I've been going non-stop. I've really wanted to post about the Rendezvous, but it wasn't until this week that I even got the pictures on to my computer.

Friday I ran around Reno, running errands and then drove up to Gerlach through passing rain storms, some pretty intense. I met up with Jessica and the other volunteers and had a nice night camping on the playa. We had a great game of night frisbee with a light up frisbee. The hardest part of that was knowing where people were to throw it to, because it was pitch black, maybe next time we'll have some moon.

Saturday there were a few discussion topics, and then tours. I went out to Fly Geyser, because Jessica had never been there and my pictures from before were deleted. It was just as awesome as ever and impossible to stop taking pictures. I think I took at least 75 so weeding them out to these few was a challenge.

Saturday night was a lot of fun and people were hanging out and drinking the free beer. The weather was a little sketchy all day, so it was a little under attended, but that meant extra beer. It was delicious.

Sunday was more tours. We went out to Soldier Meadows and had fun driving through all of the puddles on the road. On the way back we stopped at a hidden waterfall. None of us believed it existed, but there it was about 50 feet off of a road I've been down many times. Never would have guessed. We got back to the playa just in time to see the rocket launch. It's a straight shot of smoke coming off the playa and then a lot of people looking up. I think they said it went to 18,000 feet or something.

Sunday night was the big party. A band called ALBINO! came out and they rocked. They had a great horn section and was just awesome music, and of course, more free beer. Then there were some people that did a little fire dancing. Then a few of the Burning Man Pyrotechnics people put on an incredible fireworks show. They had 20 tubes set up and they must have launched 100 or more fireworks. It was a great night that never seemed to end.

Monday we packed up and headed out, getting off the playa just before a massive rain storm. The drive back was soaking and the mud quickly filled up in my tires. I slowed down but not enough because I ended up fishtailing and then spinning the car around and ending up in a ditch with a flat. It was a little nerve racking, but luckily about 15 minutes behind us were some friends and they pulled us out and helped us change the tire. I was glad I put that tow strap in my car. It was muddy and Jessica made sure to take pictures. We all made it back safely, and got the tire patched up in town.

View Larger Map

So this week has been crazy because we are leaving today for our week long rafting trip. It's going to be a blast and we pick up my parents from the airport tomorrow. But all week has been cleaning and preping. We also played two softball games that I got to pitch and we won. Summer in Winnemucca is busy, but a lot of fun!!!

No comments: