View Blogs in a larger map
Red - The most recent post
Blue - 2008
Magenta - 2009
Green - 2010
Purple - 2011
Yellow - 2012

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Great Basin National Park

So after Snowbird, I stopped by Great Basin National Park on the way home. It is the only National Park entirely in Nevada and is home to Nevada's tallest peak and single glacier. The peak is the tallest in the state, but the funny thing is Boundary peak on the border of California has a taller spot, but the technical peak is in California. A little technicality.



Great Basin is amazing. On the drive I saw an odd piece of western art at a three way intersection. A unique stop sign. The park is great with nice campsites near a little river. On saturday I got up and hiked to the upper campground that was closed due to snow. I brought my snowshoes and needed them because I lost the trail after the first 45 minutes of hiking. I wasn't sure where I was going and just figured I'd try to get above 10,000 feet. I went up the side of this hill and was looking for a good picture of the mountain when I looked over and saw a grill sticking out of the snow.




I had found the campsite and was impressed that I managed to stumble on to it. Good reckoning I suppose. The view was great and amazing. Clouds kept rolling over the peak and made it quite dramatic. One day I want to come back and hike to the top.






After the hike I went packed up camp and moved to the overlook to try seeing the mountain at sunrise. It was a bit cloudy in the morning, but the view point had a great perspective.




Then I went down to take the cave tour. Great Basin is also one of the few places that has the limestone to make great caves. They have an organized tour that is pretty spectacular. They are one of the few caves with so many shield formations. No one is really sure how they are formed.



Then there was the drive out with more western rancher art. After that is was a long drive home, but after ten days, it was good to be home.





View Larger Map

No comments: