View Blogs in a larger map
Red - The most recent post
Blue - 2008
Magenta - 2009
Green - 2010
Purple - 2011
Yellow - 2012

Friday, August 8, 2008

New Fork Fire

As I mentioned in my previous post, I got called away from my conference to a fire in Wyoming and it was raining when I got here.




It was a real downer, because we thought the fire was going to go for the full 14 days we allowed to work. Being her less then a week almost made it not worth leaving the conference. I was excited to come because it was my first time to come to a fire to make maps.




Also our set up was pretty sweet. We had a mapping trailer that was set up. It had comfortable chairs, ac, internet connection and satellite TV. Not a bad way to live, and kind of surreal since we were 15 miles from the nearest town and all of our power comes from generators. The food isn't that bad and we have a shower trailer. Kind of amazing what gets set up for these.



The rain limited what I could do, but I did learn a few things about the process of setting up and breaking down. I also got to run into an old friend that I did fires with in '04.



View Larger Map


I got off on Friday night and went up to see Dom in Jackson. It was spur of the moment organization, but it was a great time. We caught up on old high school gossip and wherabouts. Next time I'm in the Jackson area, I'm really going to have to stay for longer. The place is absolutly geogours. Maybe our next fire can be there again.


No comments: